Monday, November 20, 2006

Hummfff... Presentation finally over.

So... finally I got a lil' time to blog. You beleive it or not.. I am really busy these days. But still, the presentation we had on saturday, I can't miss to post that incident. Yeah.. it was the first of its kind experience, for me atleast.
We had to give a presentation on our report titled 'Recent Trends in Mobile Communication'. We had already submitted the report. I did start the work for presentation quite early. But then without a deadline nearing... it was really difficult, gave up in the middle. What's the fun in completing work when you dont even know when is the deadline. I guess I started off was more than enough.
This saturday, we thought it would be better if we ask our instructor regarding the deadline. So, we did go to class that day. Entered the classroom, it was 1200 hrs. Somehow were able to get through it. But one good thing did happen, we got our test 2 papers, my score was not bad, I can improve. Before leaving the room, we asked our sir...
Me and gautam : Sir, when are the presentations scheduled???
Sir : Today, and tomorrow, and next weekend.
Me and gautam : ( bit surprised and bit frightened ) Sir, can we give it tomorrow???
SIr : Check out your ID no., in the notice, you'll have to present accordingly.
Me and gautam : ( where the hell was the notice put up, we checked in the morning only) Fine sir. What time???
Sir : Today 2-4... tomorrow 3-5.
Me and gautam : (Baaghoooo.....)
We ran like anything. Just an hour... lunch.. what lunch??? we had presentation in an hour. I went to mess, those parathas were really tempting, thought once to take them in paper or something to the room, but they were too hot, had to satisfy with a few packets of biscuit and namkeen.
1304 hrs. Me sitting in front of gautam's lapT. Where's the ppt file??? yeah, the incomplete one. It took us over 200 seconds to find out /* we dint even remember the name of the file, google desktop search was of not much help*/. And mind it, in such situations, two hundred seconds does matter. Finally, opened that incomplete presentation. Copy paste from the report was the only option. Somehow completed the work in 70 minutes. But hey, it was not a submission, but a delivery. We had to present something. And yeah, it needs some preparation. But we dint had the time. Just took the presentation in gautam's mp3 player. I wish we had a hardcopy of the report /* on which the whole presentation was based */. But alas our wish was not fullfiled. All we did was to note down the topics and subtopics. On the way, we distributed the topics among ourselves. But we had the least idea about what matter was there under those topics. I guess we were really brave to go in with such preparation.
Entered the room 20 minutes late, that dint affect anyone though. One guy was presenting his thing. We discussed whether we should go next or later. I suggested later. But obviously, the day was not good, we were called next.
So, we began our presentation. Gautam started off. The other instructor threw a question straight away, but thank god, we were not that dumb. Gautam answered. That can be considered as a confidence booster :P. But after that, it wasn't so simple. The biggest trouble we both faced... before opening a slide, we had the least idea about what excatly was going to be there. And that copy paste scheme, without breaking the ideas in points, it really troubled us. After opening any slide, it was like, we were searching for some keyword on the slide to start off. That was bad. Sometimes we missed a point or two. Once, I skipped a point, sir promted, hey, you missed that last point. Thanks heaven, I knew the explaination for that thing. Else I was trying to skip a few things which I dint knew well :P. Another instance, sir asked for one thing, I dint excatly knew the answer, tried to blab a bit. But I was wrong. He explained me the thing there only. Fine, I changed the slide. And crap, the answer to his question was right there, had he not told me, I couldn't had realised that. He prompted, "hey, you do know the answer, its there on you slide." I was speechless :-|. This was among a few blunders we made.
While concluding, we made another. But it wasn't excatly our fault. Sir said to the audience i.e. the other students in the course, "why dont you ask any question?? Seems you people have signed some pact, none will ask any question, for everyone;s welfare" :P. At that, gautam promted, "Sir, we are second year students, we dont even know most of the people here". I dont excalty know what was in his mind while he said this, but I am pretty sure that he dint meant the way our instructors interpreted it. They said " It doesnt matter which year you are in. To succeed, you need to put hard work and dedication" . But hey hey hey, we were not giving an excus or something. Why was it interpreted that way????
Finally, he called the next group, we said 'phew' and took out seats. After attending that session, we returned and said "PHEW". So, it was over. I am not sure whether it was a good thing or a bad thing that it went this way, and was finally over... but one thing I am sure about is...

FIND OF THE DAY : You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

PS : I know this one is repeated, but I really found this thing again :P

2 comments:

Amisha Khera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
funkaboy said...

I'm an ex-BITSian (95A3). This post brought back memories of my presentation with Gurunarayana for Microprocessors. Ofcourse, back then we didn't have lapT or deskT. I too had to cram all the work in the last day. I guess BITSian habits don't change much :)

You have a nice blog and a clear writing style. Keep up the blogging. And all the best for your semester exams (comprees).