Friday, October 27, 2006

BITS against reservation

0835hrs, woke up, brushed my teeth and was preparing to go to mess. My super sidey, Himanshu, came to my room, asked me for today's daily. The headlines read like "Deemed varsities say yes to quota". I read further...
New Delhi : In a major setback to the anti-quota campaign, private unaided institutes like BITS Pilani, Manipal and Symbiosis on Thursday unanimously agreed to implement the 27% reservations for OBCs....
It was kinda shocking to read that stuff. We all were wondering how all these private institutes so easily agreed. But it was stated in a leading daily and we had no other option but to accept the fact. I had to study for my chemistry viva that time, but obviously this matter replaced my thoughts. I was just thinking that if our institute has already agreed to it, what can we do. I was really disappointed.
1217hrs, came back from practicals. Though according to prior plans I must had been in bank that time but thanks to state wide bank strike, I was in hostel that time. Checked my bitsmail /* we have been given mail accounts by the insti */. Subject of one of the recent mails read like "BITS Pilani & Reservation Issue". Immediately clicked on it. We were three people that time in the room. All of us anxiously waited for the mail to open /* wait lasted for around 1 second or so, but yeah, it was a small but anxious wait, atleast for me */. A smile replaced the anxiety as we read on. It was like...
Deemed universities back Arjun on quota; BITS opposes
A group of deemed universities including some prestigious ones today backed HRD Minister Arjun Singh's move for reservation in unaided institutes but BITS, Pilani, strongly opposed it. BITS, Pilani was invited but could not attend the meeting... This mail really comforted us all. For more details.. http://www.newkerala.com/news4.php?action=fullnews&id=41203
You might be thinking what is this newkerala... even I dunno, but I know one thing, that BITS is still against reservation. I am happy :) Though not sure whether BITS will be able to resist in future or not, but I am happy, it is atleast resisting. Don't have much time right now, will write more later. And I guess I must take care to write within my limits, am a bit worried, heard a lot about a few blogs being blocked.

FIND OF THE DAY : You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

2 comments:

Gautam Chaudhari said...

I must admit that I quite like to read your find of the day, though "find" really should be replaced by "google search for quotes" :P
Yeah and its nice that BITS is standing up for a cause..

Siddharth Chaudhari said...

hey rishi! got here from gautams blog... yes, bits should not implement quota, atleast till they absolutely have to...

and even i like the find of the day on your blog...

cheers, and get started on the report soon!